French food Friday...Honey Lavender Icecream


I first tried this in Provence and loved the combination of the lavender and the honey.

For those of you that have seen the movie it's complicated you will recall that Merryl Streep made it for Steve Martin and it really looked great.


By using honey as opposed to sugar you end up with icecream that is deliciously creamy and the smoothest ice cream you've ever tasted.


Be warned, though - there is a caveat...this ice cream will not freeze as well as homemade ice cream usually does. For those of you who like your ice cream hard freeze the ice cream overnight to make it scoopable, instead of the standard two to three hours after churning



Ingredients:


1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup dried lavender
4 egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream

Method:

1. Bring the milk, cream, honey, and lavender to a gentle boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.

2. Remove from the heat and let steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain and let cool a bit.

3.In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg yolks, then gradually add some of the warm milk mixture, whisking as you pour.

4. Pour the warmed eggs back into the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

5. Strain again into a bowl.Set the bowl over a large bowl of ice water. Stir the custard until cool, then cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (3 hours or overnight).

6. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.




Bon appetit....Leeann x

Comments

  1. Leeann-
    This looks and sounds amazing!
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh this sounds sooo yummy!!! :) will have to try it sometime!!!

    happy friday to ya!!! :)


    hugs,
    jessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great...Lavender is such a wonderful herb....I love it being used in different ways..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name alone conjures images of delight
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember having amazing lavender ice cream in a restaurant a couple of years ago. At the time I wondered how I could recreate it. Now I know! - thanks for your recipe!
    PS I have only just stumbled across your blog - as a true francophile who once lived in France, I love it!

    www.missbbobochic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it looks and sounds so delicious. I just purchased a lavender cookbook this summer as I have started growing some lavender, but now I realize I need to get the right kind to use in cooking. xo ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks and sounds delicious!! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, honey and lavender, wow!

    Saving the recipe and will give this a go, lovely, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep meaning to make this. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this today. The only thing I added was a generous teaspoon of vanilla and I let it steep for 30 min. Turned out excellent. I will make this again and again! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much lavender extract do I use to substitute for dried lavender?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't met another Leeann who spells her name like you do and I do. So fun! I am going to try your recipe. I had lavender honey ice cream in Portland last month, and it was amazing.
    Leeann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, that picture has me wanting to make ice cream. It looks so delicious!

    ~ Elena

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment